January 28, 2009

The Colossus of Poros



I wrote this little story seven years ago, after a trip to the island of Poros.


THE COLOSSUS OF POROS

My son William is six years old and
he loves Mr. Bean.

During our Christmas holidays in Greece we
took a day trip to the island of Poros.

We were walking around looking for the
supermarket and finally someone gave us the
right directions.

Close to the store they were repairing the road with
cement and part of the road was closed off by
red strips of plastic.

-Come this way, I said and
stepped deep down in fresh cement with
my size 12 runner shoes.

I felt like a fool but my son thought it
was really funny.

-Just like Mr. Bean, he said.

I managed to take a quick photo of
my footsteps, before the
road-workers filled them with cement.

William said he wants to have this
photo framed on the wall in his room.

It’s great to know that you can be a hero
for your son,
if you just try hard.

1 comment: