February 21, 2009

The Corinth Canal




Here's another old postcard, this one from Korinthos, The Corinth Canal. Probably the photo is taken sometime in the 70's, before the motorway and the new railroad bridge was built. It's fairly steep, eh...


Here an old poem.


THE CORINTH CANAL

The view from the edge of the Corinth Canal,
looking almost 100 meters straight down
from the bridge, was magnificent but very
scary.

We had traveled by car from Athens
and stopped on the bridge and twenty years
later I can still remember the horrifying
experience.

But when I saw a poster for a trip to the
Corinth Canal on board the ship Mantalena
I was interested, since this must be the way
to experience those frightening heights; from
the bottom of the canal looking up.

I asked Captain Dimitris about the trip and he
said it was actually a bus tour conducted by
the same company – you would go over the
canal by bus, he said, and the bus would stop
on the bridge so you could go out and have a
look down.

Sure…

1 comment: