
(inspired by the poem Bacchic, by C.P. Cavafy)
Weary of the crowded streets of Plaka, in a small
music club just next door from Brettos, I am offered
a table in the back of the room;
please, give me one Amstel to drink.
Here I feel far from tourists and shops and taverns; it
is late, almost midnight and they serve dinners and
expensive drinks in the club;
please, give me one more Amstel to drink.
The band starts (bouzoukis, guitar, flute, drummers,
bass and accordion) and Mitropanos comes on and
starts singing; not waiting for applause or cheers;
please, give me one more Amstel to drink.
There is short applause after each song but the singer
starts almost at once with a new one; not at all the
sentimental style I was expecting:
please, give me one more Amstel to drink.
“Rosa”, (the song that was like a national anthem
some years ago) makes the crowd cheer, but I, the
lone man from Sweden, am the most excited;
please, give me one more Amstel to drink.
Three singers join Mitropanos on stage and they take
turns with songs; for three hours the show goes on,
without any break or pause;
please, give me one more Amstel to drink.
Walking the quiet streets of Plaka back to my hotel,
it’s three o’clock in the morning. I am tired but I did
find happiness, delight, joy and exaltation:
in the wonderful music and the beer.
No comments:
Post a Comment