February 11, 2009

Postcard from 1920
















I found this old postcard, it's postmarked 1920 and for those of you who have been on Hydra and maybe even stayed with Spiros Kriezis in his pension, you can see his house there already in 1920. The large white house almost in the centre of the photo. Well, I think that house is a few hundred years old.

In front of Spiros' house are two large buildings down by the water, the left one is now the Melina Mercouri Hall, the island's exhibition hall.

The house that today is the Hydra Island Museum was not even built in 1920.

The characteristic mill on top of the hill - where now Maria and Lukas live - is not there in 1920, .

I can tell about other houses that are not in the postcard...

2 comments:

  1. where did you "find" this postcard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found it in my own collection of memorabilia. And my notes tell me I bought it on eBay some 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete